Tuesday, October 10, 2017

My Thankful Heart with Glorying Tongue

My thankfull heart with glorying Tongue
Shall celebrate Thy name,
Who hath restor’d, redeem’d, recur’d
From sickness, death, and Pain.

I cry’d thou seem’st to make some stay,
I sought more earnestly;
And in due time thou succour’st me
And sent’st me help from High.

Lord, whilst my fleeting time shall last,
Thy Goodness let me Tell.
And new Experience I have gain’d,
My future Doubts repell.

An humble, faitefull life, O Lord,
For ever let me walk;
Let my obedience testefye,
My Praise lies not in Talk.

Accept, O Lord, my simple mite,
For more I cannot give;
What Thou bestow’st I shall restore,
For of thine Alms I live.

--Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672), early colonial Puritan poet, 1661

A rainbow on the floor of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment