Thursday, January 17, 2019

More Beautiful Than the Honey Locust Tree Are the Words of the Lord


                                                                                      1.
In the household of God, I have stumbled in recitation,
     and in my mind I have wandered.
I have interrupted worship with discussion.
Once I extinguished the Gospel candle after all the others.
But never held the cup to my mouth lagging in gratitude.

                                                                                      2. 
The Lord forgives many things,
so I have heard.

                                                                                      3.
The deer came into the field.
I saw her peaceful face and heard the shuffle of her breath.
She was sweetened by merriment and not afraid,
     but bold to say
whose field she was crossing: spoke the tap of her foot:
"It is God's, and mine."

But only that she was born into the poem that God made, and
called the world.

                                                                                      4.
And the goldfinch too
And the black pond I named my little sister, since
     otherwise I had none.
And the muskrat with his shy hands.
And the tiny life of the single pine needle,
     which nevertheless shines.

And the priest in her beautiful vestments,
her hand over the chalice.

And the clouds moving, over the valleys of Truro.

                                                                                      5.
All day I watch the sky changing from blue to blue.
For You are forever
and I am like a single day that passes.
All day I think thanks for this world,
for the rocks and the tips of the waves,
for the tupelos and the fading roses.
For the wind.
For You are forever
while I am a single day that passes.
You are the heart of the cedars of Lebanon
     and the fir called Douglas,
the bristlecone, and the willow.

                                                                                      6.
It's close to hopeless,
for what I want to say the red-bird
has said already, and better, in a thousand trees.

The white bear, lifting one enormous paw, has said it better.

You cannot cross one hummock or furrow but it is
His holy ground.

                                                                                      7.
I had such a longing for virtue, for company.
I wanted Christ to be as close as the cross I wear. 
I wanted to read and serve, to touch the altar linen.
Instead I went back to the woods where not a single tree
     turns its face away.

Instead I prayed, oh Lord, let me be something
     useful and unpretentious.
Even the chimney swift sings.
Even the cobblestones have a task to do, and do it well.

Lord, let me be a flower, even a tare; or a sparrow.
Or the smallest bright stone in a ring worn by someone
     brave and kind, whose name I will never know.

Lord, when I sleep I feel you near.

When I wake, and you are already wiping the stars away,
I rise quickly, hoping to be like your wild child
the rose, the honey-maker the honey-vine;
a bird shouting its joy as it floats
through the gift you have given us: another day.

-- Mary Oliver (1935-2019) American poet and author, who passed away today, from Thirst: Poems, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment