Friday, June 7, 2019

Columba's Affirmation


Alone with none but Thee, My God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear when Thou art near,
O King of night and day?
More safe I am within Thy hand,
Than if a host did round me stand.

My destined time is fixed by Thee,
and death doth know his hour.
Did warriors strong around me throng,
they could not stay his power;
no walls of stone can man defend
when Thou Thy messenger dost send.

My life I yield to Thy decree,
and bow to Thy control
in peaceful calm, for from Thine arm
no power can wrest my soul.
Could earthly omen e'er appal
A man that heeds the heavenly call!

The child of God can fear no ill,
His chosen dread no foe;
we leave our fate with Thee and wait
Thy bidding when we go.
Tis not from chance our comfort springs,
Thou art our trust, O King of kings.

--St. Columba, from A Celtic Psaltery, compiled by David Adam, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment