Thursday, September 12, 2019

The Clearing


The dog and I push through the ring 
of dripping junipers 
to enter the open space high on the hill 
where I let him off the leash. 

 He vaults, snuffling, between tufts of moss; 
twigs snap beneath his weight; he rolls 
and rubs his jowls on the aromatic earth; 
his pink tongue lolls. 

 I look for sticks of proper heft 
to throw for him, while he sits, prim 
and earnest in his love, if it is love. 

All night a soaking rain, and now the hill 
exhales relief, and the fragrance 
of warm earth. . . . The sedges 
have grown an inch since yesterday, 
and ferns unfurled, and even if they try 
the lilacs by the barn can't 
keep from opening today. 

I longed for spring's thousand tender greens, 
and the white-throated sparrow's call 
that borders on rudeness. Do you know— 
since you went away 
all I can do 
is wait for you to come back to me.

--Jane Kenyon (1947-1995), American poet and translator, from Collected Poems, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment