Saturday, April 25, 2020

Sonnet: Emmaus 1


And do you ask what I am speaking of
Although you know the whole tale of my heart; 
Its longing and its loss, its hopeless love?
You walk beside me now and take my part
As though a stranger, one who doesn’t know
The pit of disappointment, the despair
The jolts and shudders of my letting go,
My aching for the one who isn’t there.

And yet you know my darkness from within,
My cry of dereliction is your own,
You bore the isolation of my sin
Alone, that I need never be alone.
Now you reveal the meaning of my story
That I, who burn with shame, might blaze with glory.

-- --Malcolm Guite, (1957- ) Anglican priest, poet, singer-songwriter, and philosopher, from Parable and Paradox.


Scripture reference: Luke 24:17 ‘He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?” They stood still, their faces downcast’.  Easter 3A

No comments:

Post a Comment