Saturday, May 2, 2020

Psalm 4 (NZPB version)


Answer me when I call, O God,
      for you are the God of justice.
   You set me free when I was hard-pressed:
      be gracious to me now and hear my prayers.

Men and women, 
      how long will you turn my glory to my shame?
   How long will you love what is worthless and run after lies?

Know that God has shown me such wonderful kindness:
   when I call out in prayer, God hears me.

Tremble, admit defeat, and sin no more.
   Look deep into your heart before you sleep and be still.

Bring your gifts, just as you are, and put your trust in God.
   Many are asking, Who can make us content?

The light of your countenance has gone from us, O God.
   Yet you have given my heart more gladness
      than those whose corn and wine and oil increase.

I lie down in peace and sleep comes at once,
   for in you alone, O God, do I dwell unafraid.

-- from Night Prayer, A New Zealand Prayer Book | He Karakia Mihinare o Aotearoa, p. 169

No comments:

Post a Comment