Saturday, August 22, 2020

Daily


These shriveled seeds we plant, 
corn kernel, dried bean, 
poke into loosened soil, 
cover over with measured fingertips 

These T-shirts we fold 
into perfect white squares 

These tortillas we slice and fry to crisp strips 
This rich egg scrambled in a gray clay bowl 

This bed whose covers I straighten 
smoothing edges till blue quilt fits brown 
blanket 
and nothing hangs out

This envelope I address 
so the name balances like a cloud 
in the center of sky

This page I type and retype 
This table I dust till the scarred wood shines 
This bundle of clothes I wash and hang 
and wash again 
like flags we share, a country so close 
no one needs to name it 

The days are nouns: touch them 
The hands are churches that worship the world

--Naomi Shihab Nye (1952- ), Palestinian-American poet, from Words Under Words: Selected Poems, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment