Monday, October 26, 2020

Bird (watching



Yesterday in the chill
I unspooled the hose, stiffening already,
Resisting like a toddler,
Knotted like a fist
Rather than stretching sinuously.

Filled all the birdbaths,
Tilting out the leaves
And the sludge that will send
Clouds of mosquitos no matter the season
If left unchecked.

Offered my gifts
Of seed, suet, and seed cake.
Threw away the latest and greatest
Feeder that claimed to be squirrel-proof,
Bent like a bow tie on a tipsy groom.
Useless, and
Missing the lid the thieves had unscrewed
And thrown down the hill
Into the neighbors’ yard
With a war cry of triumph
from blue-painted Picts
howling down upon hapless Saxons.

But now all was quiet.
As soon as I returned inside
The rejoicing would begin.
Felt the eyes of someone on me.
Turned and saw
A bird (watching me,
The bird-watcher).

This hawk, still,
paused in mid-motion,
as if scared it would startle me into flight.
Pretending to survey
the collection of mourning doves
offered up as in a grocery aisle
while his yellow-lamped eye
remained steadily on me.



--LKS

No comments:

Post a Comment