Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Lullaby




The upland falls behind the house, 
live and scrub oak, barbed wire 
firmly implanted stringing unlikely 
trees together, terrace by terrace, 
down and down, white rock
gleaming through the green. 

The art of memory, they say, 
is to forget. So sleep now, 
smile and sleep and let me 
think, sleep past the molecules 
of grief, let me kneel and believe,
believe and submit. 

Soon enough you'll know hunger, 
then sweetness, then a sweet 
hunger for what reaches 
out to touch. Soon, too, 
those poor, nerveless times,
those times when you curse 

and strike out at yourself, 
when you count up wrongs 
and feed them as if they were 
one prairie fire. As I sit 
and watch you sleep,
I grow angry, too, 

at my abstraction of your sorrow, 
at its necessity, at the very idea 
of what I cannot speak,
it's so unspeakable.
So sleep and smile,
sleep deep.


--Ralph Burns (1949- ), Oklahoma-born American poet and former professor at the University of Arkansas- Little Rock, from Poetry magazine, November 1988.

No comments:

Post a Comment