Friday, December 29, 2023

I Am The Light of the World




I see your world in light that shines behind me,
Lit by a sun whose rays I cannot see,
The smallest gleam of light still seems to find me
Or find the child who’s hiding deep inside me.
I see your light reflected in the water,
Or kindled suddenly in someone’s eyes,
It shimmers through the living leaves of summer,
Or spills from silver veins in leaden skies,
It gathers in the candles at our vespers
It concentrates in tiny drops of dew
At times it sings for joy, at times it whispers,
But all the time it calls me back to you.
I follow you upstream through this dark night
My saviour, source, and spring, my life and light.


-- Malcolm Guite (1954- ) Anglican poet, priest, theologian, and musician 

Scripture Reference: John 8:12

Images: Lux Nova (2011) by Bernd Nestler, German, window made of float glass, treated twice with ceramic enamels, platinum mirror surface, and gold dust, at St. Christoffel Cathedral, Roermond, the Netherlands.




No comments:

Post a Comment